FidoNet 5:5/200 FIDOCON 1990 - ZONE 5 Held on 7 September 1990 to 9 September 1990 It is with great pleasure, that I will try and give you a summary of what actually happened at FidoCon 1990! Yes, you would ask, what was the fuzz all about, but let me tell you, it was a great thrill to meet and actually see the faces behind the messages, that we so often take for granted. First and foremost, I would like to thank Grahamstown, and particularly the Rhodes people, for their hospitality, and all the arrangements they made, to please all the delegates, that attended the convention...the very first held on the African continent! At 08:00, we all got registered for the convention, and everybody start to take there seats, while the camera-man puts up his video equipment to record everything to be said and done. First of all, we had Henk Wolsink, our Zone 5 Coordinator, opening the very first convention, in Zone 5. He introduced himself, and mentioned the fact that two speakers couldn't make it. They were Anthony Walker and Stephan Davies. Fortunately, Anthony knew beforehand, that he would probably not make it, and made a video tape, for all to watch, during the convention. He was also the chairman for the first session till tea time. He then talked a bit about the history of FidoNet, and particular , how it started in Southern Africa. He also mentioned how FidoNet grew throughout the world, and how it affected sysops in Zone 5. Then he introduced the Grand Daddy of FidoNet Zone5, Bryan Haefele, who gave a thorough speech about the history of FidoNet in the now called Zone 5 area. It is just a pitty that this speech was not recorded properly, as the sound of the video camera, was not on for this and the next session...but never the less, the people that were there, would hopefully not forget the history lesson. Pat Terry, better known to his students as Professor Terry, gave us a very in depth insight on UFGATE, and how the interfaces between UNIX boxes and FidoNet works. He also talked about the specific connections between zone 1 and zone 5, where Randy Bush was providing the porting of UNIX networks to the zone 1 zonegate, then sending it to Rhodes, using the normal FidoNet dial-up links. Then we had tea...and I got lost while trying to find the lecture room again :-) After tea, and discovering that the camera failed to record sound of the previous session, Pat Terry, the chairman of the second session, introduced Randy Bush, the main speaker of the convention. Pat mentioned about his relationship with Randy, and how he got stuck into Modula-2, first with the Apple II computers, and later the bigger buggers. Randy started off with, a bit of history (again:-) on FidoNet, but talked about Tom Jennings, the father of FidoNet, and how FidoNet started, with his program called Fido (because it was such a dog of a program ). Randy mentioned when he got involved, and mentioned Ben Baker, also one of the pioneers of the olden days. He talked about how regions, and later zones started all over the world, to reduce cost mainly as well as to make distribution more effective. Echomail was also mentioned and how the first echo's came about. IFNA was also mentioned, and what the reason was, why it was started. Echomail wars also started, and IFNA eventually collapsed. He then mentioned the fact that many non-clone machines were used to port FidoNet software, and those users writing their own software, etc. Politics power and policy, is probably one of the biggest problems in FidoNet, Randy mentioned. Zone 5 will have to get more countries connected, so as to change perspective of the rest of the FidoNet world. He talked about all the various zones, and how they operated. Also the fact that zone 3 will split up in to zone 3 and 6 in a friendly manner, also to concentrate the mail links, etc. Zone 4 has a big problem financially, while zone 2 seems the most organised. He then also talked about various other networks, and the fact that FidoNet addressing, were not very intelligent, compared to UUCP, etc. For instance, sending a message to USA.ORIGON.PORTLAND.RANDY would make more sense, than sending it to 1:105/42! This makes sense to me, but might not to others, etc. Bitnet, was for instance based on the IBM proprietary protocols, using 7 bit data bytes, etc. USENET is not a network, and all networks receiving USENET news files, actually belongs to USENET, like FidoNet! Internet was also discussed, and RFC's a bit explained, as well as the current FTS documents, which are to become RFC's eventually. Vic Shaw, of the FRD, was then summoned to give his talk on Uninet. He explained, that the relation between Uninet and Fidonet was excellent. Uninet's mission is to, development, implementation and promotion of an academic and research computer network in Southern Africa. This means, that it's intended for use by Universities, and higher education institutions, etc. This network, is of course sponsored by the FRD (Federation for Research and Development). He then gave credit to FidoNet, which made UNINET into what it is today, although, FidoNet (Zone 5) got quite a few benefits, financially, from Uninet as well. Anthony Walker's tape was then played, where he gave us a chat about his COMNET system, and how it is interfaced with BELTEL, the local prestel dailup system, operated by the P&T. We all, then partook in a general discussion, about FidoNet in general, and ways and means in expanding FidoNet, to the lower levels, like schools, etc. Lunch was then served at the 1820 Settlers Monument building. The Chairman for the afternoon, was Dave Pedler, who is the region 49 Coordinator. He introduced himself, and talked about how zone 5's *C sysops were elected and appointed, when Zone 5 got off the ground in September 1989, etc. Henk Wolsink, our Zone 5 Coordinator, was then called to give his talk about Zone 5, and how it started, etc. The discussion then also turned to why and when points and super users (users using Silver Xpress or XRS) are used, the pros and cons thereof. I then stepped in to give a chat on how echomail links are connected throughout Zone 5 and the rest of the world. We also discussed a bit of history on Zone 5, and what made echomail to be 'magic'. All Zone 5 *C sysops then gathered at the Hotel (Not to drink :-), but to discuss various aspects of the network, mostly difficult to sort out over the network itself. 1. We basically decided that Henk should keep on being the ZC for Zone 5 for another year, unless someone has a complaint about him:-) 2. We also decided, not to allow a Beltel gateway for FidoNet, unless it is going to be READ-ONLY on the BELTEL side. 3. Changing of echo tags like ECHOMAIL, which was always confusing to users. 4. We also decided to follow Randy Bush's advice in changing pick-up and poll times for echomail, excluding the zonegate. This will have a drastic effect on the turnaround time of all echomail in Zone 5. We then drank ourselves, under the table, while the other crowed looked at the Rhodes computer equipment, until the dinner in the same Hotel. No, not really, we just sat there waiting for them :-) And so the day came to a halt? No, we still had a very nice dinner, and it carried on till very late. We had some photo sessions, we even had food! Very nice too, although, I can't remember what we ate, as it was more interesting to chat to each other, about...PC's and computers and FidoNet and BBS's...what else? :-) Anyway, to rap it up, I personally think it was a great success, and I would like to thank each and everyone, attending FidoCon 1990. I sure hope to see you all, and many more, with the next FidoCon. Also great thanks to Rhodes, for hosting the convention, and for the FRD, who sponsored Randy's visit to our Zone. Also many thanks to Randy to take the trouble in getting the FidoCon... great to have had you here, Randy!